From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 16:57:13 CDT

Hi,
  VMD uses the program Stride to calculate the secondary structure
for all of the files it loads. If you want to use the secondary structure
provided in a PDB file, you can use the vmd_read_pdb_ss script in the
VMD script library:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/vmd_use_pdb_ss/

You can also use the atomselect commands to query/alter secondary structure,
some of which is exemplified in the sscache script, also in the
VMD script library:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/sscache/

I suspect that the issue in your case is just that Stride yields a different
secondary structure than what the PDB came with.
Let us know if you have more questions about this.

Thanks,