From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 17:41:29 CDT

Hi Ioana,
  If you want high resolution, the best way to go would be to use one
of the external ray tracing packages such as Tachyon or POV-Ray.
Depending on what representations you're using, you might actually
want to try one of the new pre-release versions of VMD 1.8.3 as
we have made tremendous improvements in the quality of ray traced
scenes that contain MSMS surfaces, NewRibbons, and a few of the
other representations that use per-vertex coloring.
Most external renderers provide a means for either overriding the
default resolution, or performing high-quality antialiasing which
also yields good results in many cases. For Tachyon and POV-Ray,
you can edit the scene files or command line options to greatly
increase the resolution of the scene.