From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 16:53:04 CDT

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 11:53:50PM +0200, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> i'd really appreciate capability of reading biosym's .car / .msi files
> (the former is much more needed).

Do you have a URL for any file format specifications for those?
That'd be helpful, we can see how tricky it'd be to write them.

> >As-written, the Babel plugin would never work well
> >on Windows, it is pretty Unix-centric.
> what about to use for example openbabel as an external program / filter?
> wouldn't it be possible?

Well, that's essentially what the regular Babel plugin does, and so
the same problems would occur whether with the old Babel or the new
OpenBabel code. I'll have to revisit what the main problem is with the
Windows platform, but there was a good reason for it, I think it has to
do with the way that Babel needs to be installed, something like that.
I haven't looked at it in a while.

  John