From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2014 - 08:25:00 CST

Hi,
  When setting up 4K 3-D TVs with VMD, one thing to watch out for is
that some of the TVs using HDMI inputs might cause the
video card to use a video mode with down-sampled chrominance
information as a way of getting a 4K resolution display
mode at a particular refresh rate. If such a mode is used in combination
with any of the row- or column-interleaved, or checkboard stereo modes,
the left/right images could end up showing significant unintended crosstalk.
This problem can be avoided by driving the display a side-by-side or
over-under stereo format if the TV supports it, or by carefully choosing the
display mode to avoid any downsampling. The chrominance downsampling is
primarily an issue with HDMI 1.x inputs that have a lower maximum bitrate
than would typically be needed for 4K display modes at refresh rates of
say 60Hz, for example. If you drive the display with HDMI 2.x I think it's
not a problem.

We're about to do some testing with some 49" LG displays that support
3-D and have a native 4K resolution. I already know about the issues above
from talking with others, so I will report on this in detail once we have
tested the LG displays ourselves.

Cheers,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/