From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2014 - 08:59:44 CDT

Hi,
  I would suggest that you try using the "GlassBubble" material for
your transparent surface. It should case only very weak shadows, but
it will hopefully clearly show the interesting boundaries of the
outer molecular surfaces without obscuring interior cartoon representations.
Give that a try and tell us what you think...