From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2014 - 10:07:02 CDT

Hi,
  When you refer to the "data range", I assume you are
referring to the "color scale data range" control in the
graphical representations trajectory tab.
If you set the color scale data range values for two representations
to the same value range, and the physical values in two different
volumetric data sets are in the same units, then yes, you can make
a direct visual comparison between the coloring of one data set
vs. the coloring of another. When the color scale data ranges are
set the same, the two datasets will be shown with the same mapping
of values to colors.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/