From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2014 - 09:43:03 CST

Hi,
  I read the PyMol page you referenced, and I note that their coloring
scheme is a false potential and is not based on the electrostatic field.
If your goal is merely to have a strong coloring (e.g. solid red/blue
with very little white/gray in between) you can achieve this in VMD
by changing the "Color Scale Data Range" values in the "Trajectory" tab
of the graphical representations window. If what you're after is to
show the electrostatic coloring for a surface to the electrostatic potential
other than the one that's actually being displayed on the screen (e.g.
compute electrostatic field associated with vertices on a surface that's
either 1.4A smaller or 1.4A larger due to the probe radius), then that
is not something that VMD will allow you to do. You can only color by
the actual potential associated with the location in space. Depending on
which electrostatics solver has been used, the comments on the PyMol page
you reference that relate to "artifacts and noise in the PB solver"
may or may not be relevant.

I don't think that coloring the SASA points makes much sense to me, if
that were what you wanted, then you could get that directly from drawing
an MSMS surface or Surf surface, and coloring by Volume.

Cheers,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/