From: Ricardo O. S. Soares (rsoares_at_fcfrp.usp.br)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2014 - 08:42:05 CST

Hello John and Josh,

thank you for your inputs!

I'm familiar with the surf representation+color by volume method, in fact that is the one I've been employing.
However the added 1.4 A radius from the solvent accessible surface starting from the molecular surface does present changes in the elec trostatic profile, being them less intense (with more pronounced white/neutral regions).
If you take PyMol's APBS plugin as an example, under the Visualization tab you can check/uncheck the solvent acc. surf. box and see the difference (as briefly described here http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/Protein_contact_potential) .
In VMD I can simulate the same color pattern by setting the representation to VDW with added 1.4 radius, or more or less with surf rep. and a larger probe radius.
So Josh's suggestion of writing a script to color the SASA points by volume is what could come closer to what I need, however I was hopping there was a more direct way to do so with the surface/MSMS representation.

Thanks,

---
Biological Chemistry and Physics
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences at Ribeirão Preto
University of São Paulo - Brazil