From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2013 - 02:32:45 CST

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Albert <mailmd2011_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys:
>
> I am compiling VMD in my Linux OS and it goes well. However, each time
> when VMD start, it claimed:
>
> The irspecgui package could not be loaded:
> The multiseq package could not be loaded:
> The pmepot_gui package could not be loaded:
> The autoionizegui package could not be loaded:
> The solvate package could not be loaded:
> The autopsf package could not be loaded:
> The cggui package could not be loaded:
> The dowser_gui package could not be loaded:
> The chirality_gui package could not be loaded:
> The cispeptide_gui package could not be loaded:
> The forcefieldtoolkit package could not be loaded:
> The membrane package could not be loaded:
> The mergestructs package could not be loaded:
> The molefacture package could not be loaded:
> The mutator package could not be loaded:
> The paratool package could not be loaded:
> The autoimd package could not be loaded:
>

> It seems that VMD don't find the path of some plugin. Here are the steps how
> I compile it

more likely that *you* didn't put the plugins where they should be.
vmd works just fine if build and install is done properly.

> First I compiled the plugin by command:
>
> make LINUXAMD64
>
> after that I make three directory in VMD main source code folder:
>
> /soft/vmd-1.9.1.src/plugins/include
> /soft/vmd-1.9.1.src/plugins/LINUXAMD64
> /soft/vmd-1.9.1.src/plugins/noarch
>
> and copy related files from compiled plugin into those three directories.

manually?? that would be a mistake. there is a "distrib" target in the
plugin makefile.
e.g. you would do something like this. to *properly*
make ARCH=LINUXAMD64 PLUGINDIR=${HOME}/compile/vmd/vmd/plugins distrib

once the plugins are properly added to the main VMD build tree, make
install will take care of installing them properly, too.

axel.