From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 01 2012 - 23:14:38 CST

Joe,
  This could certainly be done. You would just need to measure
the RMSD values for each residue, and then store the results into
one of the available per-atom data fields for each atom in the residue
(e.g. use a "same residue as ...." type atom selection.)
Once the data has been stored, you can use the field you've loaded the
RMSD values into as the coloring method in VMD. For a time-varying property,
like RMSD or RMSF you'll want to use one of the four "user" fields, since
they are stored per-atom, for each frame.