From: Romaric David (david_at_icps.u-strasbg.fr)
Date: Sat Jul 12 2003 - 06:20:52 CDT

John Stone wrote:

> Romaric,
> Interesting. It is possible that this is a bug in VMD, the CAVE code
> is very complicated due to tricky management of shared memory regions.
>
> Can you tell me some more about the problem you're experiencing?
> Is this behavior "once per session" running VMD, or
> does the B&W image come and go as VMD runs? Or, to put it another way,
> if VMD starts up and looks fine, does it stay that way as you continue
> to use it, or does this problem with B&W come and go as it runs?
As far as I've seen (I've tried many times), it is a once per session
behaviour : if it starts OK, it will stay OK.

The good sign is to look at the x,y,z axes that are drawn as cylinders
even if the molecule is represented as lines :
- if they are in colour since the beginning, then the molecule will display OK
- if they are B&W, the molecule on the lower screen will be B&W
- if only the letters x,y,z show, the molecule won't be drawn on the lower
  screen.

> I can provide you with a test version of VMD 1.8.2 that has OpenGL
> graphics debugging code enabled that you can use to run some further
> tests if you're interested.
Yes, I'd be glad to test it and maybe find track of this problem.

        Thanks,
        Romaric

--
  R. David - david_at_icps.u-strasbg.fr