From: Jim Parker (jim.parker_at_prismsciences.com)
Date: Thu Sep 17 2009 - 19:33:51 CDT

Hello,
  I've recently installed VMD on a Ubuntu 8.10 system and followed the
install directions in ig.pdf. I have most things working now, thanks to
help on this site. However, at start up I get the following message.

Info) VMD for LINUX, version 1.8.7 (August 1, 2009)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 2 CPUs detected.
Info) Free system memory: 1346MB (66%)
Info) Detected 1 available CUDA accelerator:
Info) [0] Quadro NVS 135M 1 SM_1.1 @ 0.80 GHz, 127MB RAM, KTO, OIO
Info) Creating CUDA device pool and initializing hardware...
CUDA error: no CUDA-capable device is available, line 62
Warning) Detected X11 'Composite' extension: if incorrect display occurs
Warning) try disabling this optional X server feature.
Info) OpenGL renderer: Quadro NVS 135M/PCI/SSE2
Info) Features: STENCIL MSAA(4) MDE CVA MTX NPOT PP PS GLSL(OVF)
Info) Full GLSL rendering mode is available.
Info) Textures: 2-D (8192x8192), 3-D (2048x2048x2048), Multitexture (4)
vmd >

The default configure file detects my NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M card which
is CUDA capable--albeit a low end card (256MB RAM--interesting that VMD
says 127MB...)
and then says that no CUDA device is available...

There are 2 warnings related to X11 'composite' extension which I don't
know if they are related to the CUDA issue.

I did check that my CUDA and video drivers are upto date per this thread
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/13983.html

I have CUDA 2.3 installed with Driver version 190.18.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
--Jim Parker
UTSA Physics and Astronomy