From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2009 - 08:51:08 CST

Hi,
  Tcl 8.5.x has significantly altered the internal implementation of the
Tcl interpreter, and one of the results of these changes is that one is
no longer allowed to modify the size of Tcl objects if they are marked
as shared by more than one piece of code (by the reference counting system).
I've made the appropriate changes in the test versions of VMD 1.8.7, so
you may find it easiest to simply compile from the current source tree
rather than adapting VMD 1.8.6 for the new revs of Tcl. That said, if
you strictly want to work with VMD 1.8.6, I can probably send you the
appropriate source code diffs to effect the changes necessary for Tcl 1.8.5
if it's important to you. I have pre-built test versions of VMD 1.8.7
posted via this link: http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/