From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2008 - 16:31:06 CDT

Hi,
  The Tachyon flags that reproduce the OpenGL or GLSL renderings in VMD are:
"-aasamples 4 -trans_vmd -mediumshade"

The "-rescale_lights 0.8 -add_skylight 0.9" flags enable ambient occlusion
lighting, which has the effect of enabling shadows, which aren't rendered
at all when "-mediumshade" is used. This is an important distinction, as
you'll definitely tend to get a somewhat darker image than when there are
no shadows at all. In order to counteract this, one can either enable
more lights, use brighter colors (e.g. either by selecting brighter
colors in the graphics window or by editing the colors themselves
in the color window...), or use a higher value with the -rescale_lights
parameter. Variations of this sort will reduce the overall darkening of
the scene, though some is unavoidable as that's the nature of shadows :-)

I should note that this shadow effect is completely independent of the VMD
background color, so that's not really a contributing factor at all.

Let me know if you have more questions on this.