From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2008 - 16:14:35 CDT

Hi guys,
  The patch looked fine as a starting point. I'll see about
integrating it in the next few days after I'm back in town again.
Regarding the legal aspects, tiny patches like this that go against
the existing core code of VMD end up being considered owned by
UIUC since they are derived from the existing source code and UIUC IP,
and are not otherwise a "standalone" piece of code. Larger works of code
that could be used independently of VMD would be a different issue and
would likely have to be more formally contributed to be on the safe side.
The VMD plugins, with one or two exceptions are all open source,
so they are typically even less of an issue than small patches like this one.

Cheers,
  John