From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2008 - 15:39:55 CDT

Hi Seth,
  Do you have any errors in your bash profile? Some people
have encountered problems like this in the past when they have
errors in their .cshrc (1.8.5 or older revs of VMD) or their
.bashrc, or .profile (VMD 1.8.6 and later). You might try renaming
your login files (e.g. .profile, .alias, ....) temporarily to see
if anything behaves differently.

  John