From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2008 - 17:02:05 CDT

Hi,
  The ">" character you have in your example below shouldn't be there,
that would cause some trouble for sure.

Here's a proper example command sequence to make a movie from text mode:
  package require vmdmovie
  mkdir /tmp/mytmpdir
  ::MovieMaker::makemovie /tmp/mytmpdir example ppmtompeg snapshot 10

This worked fine for me.

Try that and let me know how it goes.