From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2007 - 16:40:47 CDT

Hi,
  Whether to implement your plugin in C++ mixed with Python or Tcl, or
to implement it purely in one of the scripting languages depends greatly
on how performance intensive the algorithms are. Since we're still
working on making the Python side of VMD a more OS and
distribution-independent, it's probably easier to make a plugin with
Tcl that will run everywhere at the present moment. That said, you
should be able to use SWIG to build a Tcl and/or Python interface for
anything you've got. This is how psfgen and other plugins are implemented.
Generally speaking, I suggest people implement plugins with pure scripting
as it frees them from having to worry about making their C/C++ code portable
to every platform, particularly for people that aren't familiar with the
unique challenges of Windows, Unix, and Mac. That said, you can do it
any of these ways and get a workable result. Maybe you can tell us more
about what the input/output of your C++ code is and we can give further
suggestions. The plugin programmer's guide is the most extensive
tutorial, but as you've seen it primarily covers plugins and extensions
written in the scripting languages and doesn't go into any great detail
about more sophisticated methods involving compilation of shared libraries
and dynamic loading etc.