From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2007 - 01:16:14 CDT

Hi John:
please see below.

--- John Stone <johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Hi Francesco,
> These are two completely different situations that
> have
> nothing to do with each other. Your shared library
> issue
> is specific to your linux install and doesn't relate
> at all
> to the error message Philipp is seeing regarding
> y.tab.h.

This was clear to me. I only took the chance to check
if there was anything new about installation of vmd on
Linux Debian.

> The problem you were (are still?) experiencing on
> debian is the
> result of a missing (or incompatible) 32-bit
> libstdc++.so.5 on
> your system, based on the output from 'ldd'.
> Although your apt-file search command indicated
> that you had the library installed, the dynamic
> linker
> clearly isn't buying it, so I wonder if this is a
> bad symlink or
> something similar,

The first question I posed from my own examination of
the system - when installation did not proceed
smoothly - was were to set a link to the Debian
library. I got no answer.

since many thousands of others
> are running
> without trouble on various other distributions.
> You'll need to
> scrutinize the libraries you have installed on your
> system and determine
> why your linker is having problems.

I never had problems in installing any computational
program, provided I was told were to set links when
the compilation was not a debian package. I must add
that anytime there was an initial problem, Debian was
never at fault. I wonder whether this is a different
situation (I will get a prize for discovering a bug).

No, I did not anything more about this installation,
just because I don't know where vmd is searching
libraries and where links may be set.

Thanks
francesco

> Cheers,
> John Stone
> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
>

> On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 02:14:29PM -0700, Francesco
> Pietra wrote:
> > John:
> > However, if you go to a couple of weeks old post,
> you
> > will see that the 32bit redhat compilation failed
> > provide installation on Linux Debisn i386.
> >
> > francesco pietra
> >
> > --- John Stone <johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> >

> > > Hi,
> > > Did you follow the installation instructions
> > > carefully?
> > > If you're installing a binary distribution of
> VMD,
> > > you need only to
> > > run the "make install" step, you will not have
> > > run a normal "make"
> > > since the binary is already there.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > John Stone
> > > vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
> > >
> > > On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 02:54:24PM +0200,
> Philipp

> and
> > > got the following error
> needed
> > > by `vmd_LINUX'. Stop.
> version
> > > installed. Is it
> installing
> > > the newer one or may this

> > > --
> > > NIH Resource for Macromolecular Modeling and
> > > Bioinformatics
> > > Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and
> > > Technology
> > > University of Illinois, 405 N. Mathews Ave,
> Urbana,
> > > IL 61801
> > > Email: johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu Phone:
> > > 217-244-3349
> > > WWW: http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/ Fax:
> > > 217-244-6078

> > Looking for earth-friendly autos?
> > Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Yahoo! Autos'
> Green Center.
> > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
>
> --
> NIH Resource for Macromolecular Modeling and
> Bioinformatics
> Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and
> Technology
> University of Illinois, 405 N. Mathews Ave, Urbana,
> IL 61801
> Email: johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu Phone:
> 217-244-3349
> WWW: http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/ Fax: