From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2007 - 10:31:11 CDT

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 11:16:14PM -0700, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Hi John:
> please see below.

[...]
> This was clear to me. I only took the chance to check
> if there was anything new about installation of vmd on
> Linux Debian.

In the future, make a new subject rather than replying to
an different thread as it is quite confusing for those of us trying
to help when totally different things are being discussed in the same
email thread...

> > The problem you were (are still?) experiencing on
> > debian is the
> > result of a missing (or incompatible) 32-bit
> > libstdc++.so.5 on
> > your system, based on the output from 'ldd'.
> > Although your apt-file search command indicated
> > that you had the library installed, the dynamic
> > linker
> > clearly isn't buying it, so I wonder if this is a
> > bad symlink or
> > something similar,
>

> The first question I posed from my own examination of
> the system - when installation did not proceed
> smoothly - was were to set a link to the Debian
> library. I got no answer.

I was out of town handling other VMD business for a week, so
I wasn't online when you originally posted your questions.
By the silence I had assumed (incorrectly I see) that your problems
were solved by the others that tried to help.

Setting a link (at least in the way it's done presently) isn't the
right thing to do in this case, as your dynamic linker doesn't consider the
file that you've linked against to be a compatible shared library version.
You need to get the appropriate libstdc++.so.5 for your Debian distribution.
Alternately, I could provide you with a libstdc++.so.5 from RedHat, but that
may not solve the problem either. If you can tell me exactly what you've done
up to this point, (so I don't have to fish through past emails) that would
be very helpful and I should be able to assist you in solving your problem.

> I never had problems in installing any computational
> program, provided I was told were to set links when
> the compilation was not a debian package. I must add
> that anytime there was an initial problem, Debian was
> never at fault. I wonder whether this is a different
> situation (I will get a prize for discovering a bug).

I don't think this is a "bug" in Debian at all, but there are many
ways in which different Linux distributions can encounter
incompatibilities, and this is just one such example.