From: Yinglong Miao (yimiao_at_indiana.edu)
Date: Fri May 25 2007 - 16:59:11 CDT

Dear all,

I have been haunted by a problem with installing VMD on a LINUX
cluster, BigRed, at IU. BigRed consists of 512 IBM JS21 Blades, each
with two dual-core PowerPC processors and runs SuSE Linux Enterprise
Server operating system (see
http://uits.iu.edu/scripts/ose.cgi?aueo.def.help).

I was told that BigRed doesn't support OpenGL and even has issues with
X. And VMD cannot be installed with GUI. But I want to use VMD for
numerical analyses of NAMD simulation outputs by making use of VMD
plugins. Also for my current NAMD simulations, I need to call TCL
scripts which need to be interpreted by VMD with its plugins (some
basic functions handling dcd, pdb files, atom selection , etc.). So I
want to ask is there a way to have VMD installed as a TCL interpreter
executed with "vmd -dispdev text -e myscript.tcl" without worrying
about the graphics support?

There were some discussions in previous posts about "vmd can't start up
after being installed in linux" (lanhua Tue Apr 17 2007), but I didn't
find my answers there. Do you have any more ideas?

Best regards,
Long

--
Yinglong Miao