From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri May 25 2007 - 13:23:11 CDT

On Fri, 25 May 2007, Jana Black wrote:

JB> Hello!
JB>
JB> I am trying to install VMD 1.8.6 on Ubuntu 7.04. After downloading the
JB> tar.gz file from your website, this is what I did:
JB>
JB> tar zxvf ~/Desktop/vmd-1.8.6.bin.LINUX.opengl.tar.gz
JB> cd vmd-1.8.6
JB> ./configure LINUX
JB> cd src
JB> sudo make install
JB>
JB>
JB> I know that after the "make install" VDM should run with
JB> /usr/local/bin/vmd, but when I type that this is the result:
JB>
JB> bash: /usr/local/bin/vmd: /bin/csh: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

please install csh or tcsh and it should work.

JB> However, I can run VDM with ./vmd-1.8.6/LINUX/vmd_LINUX, but I receive
JB> the following errors:
JB>
JB> ERROR) Tcl startup error: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:
JB> ERROR) /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4 /home/jblack/vmd-1.8.6/lib/tcl8.4 /home/jblack/lib/tcl8.4 /home/jblack/vmd-1.8.6/library /home/jblack/library /home/jblack/tcl8.4.1/library /home/tcl8.4.1/library /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
JB> ERROR)

those happen, because the vmd script sets a number of environment
variables that are required for vmd_LINUX to operate properly.

i'm currently working on a version of the vmd script that works
with /bin/sh (almost there, still needs some cross-platform testing...).

that should lift the dependency on /bin/csh (which is getting less
and less frequently installed by default).

cheers,
  axel.