From: Jana Black (jblack13_at_utk.edu)
Date: Fri May 25 2007 - 13:44:00 CDT

Hello!

I am trying to install VMD 1.8.6 on Ubuntu 7.04. After downloading the
tar.gz file from your website, this is what I did:

tar zxvf ~/Desktop/vmd-1.8.6.bin.LINUX.opengl.tar.gz
cd vmd-1.8.6
./configure LINUX
cd src
sudo make install

I know that after the "make install" VDM should run with
/usr/local/bin/vmd, but when I type that this is the result:

bash: /usr/local/bin/vmd: /bin/csh: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

However, I can run VDM with ./vmd-1.8.6/LINUX/vmd_LINUX, but I receive
the following errors:

ERROR) Tcl startup error: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:
ERROR) /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4 /home/jblack/vmd-1.8.6/lib/tcl8.4 /home/jblack/lib/tcl8.4 /home/jblack/vmd-1.8.6/library /home/jblack/library /home/jblack/tcl8.4.1/library /home/tcl8.4.1/library /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
ERROR)
ERROR)
ERROR)
ERROR) This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.
ERROR) Tk startup error: invalid command name "tcl_findLibrary"
ERROR) VMDDIR undefined, startup failure likely.
ERROR) Could not read the vmd initialization file -
ERROR) source {/usr/local/lib/vmd/scripts/vmd/vmdinit.tcl}
ERROR) can't find package http 2.4
ERROR) The VMDDIR environment variable is set by the startup
ERROR) script and should point to the top of the VMD hierarchy.
ERROR) VMD will continue with limited functionality.

Then it gives me a list of about 50 packages that will not load. I've
tried to install older versions and add flags ./configure command,
without much luck. Is there something I need to edit in the configure
file? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you,
Jana Black