From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 14:20:52 CDT

Hmm,
  Try naming the file .login. Worst case you may need to logout
and log back in in order for MacOS X to pick up the variable.
It has been so long since I did this on bash I don't recall
precisely what I needed to do anymore. Of course, the best solution
would be for the TSRI folks to provide a MacOS X Intel binary, rather
than running their PowerPC version in emulation mode which as you can
guess is also slower than one would like.