From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2006 - 13:47:10 CST

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 nunolf_at_ci.uc.pt wrote:

> Hi *
>
> I installed as john suggested the proprietary drivers for the ATI video card.
> This time, vmd graphical mode runs, but vmd console still outputs some errors:

please check with glxinfo whether it is correctly configured, too.

> Info) VMD for LINUX, version 1.8.5 (August 25, 2006)
> Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
> Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
> Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
> Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
> Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
> Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
> Info) Multithreading available, 2 CPUs detected.
> Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
> Info) OpenGL renderer: Mesa GLX Indirect
> Info) Features: STENCIL MTX
> Info) GLSL rendering mode is NOT available.
> Info) Textures: 2-D (2048x2048), Multitexture (8)

this does not look as if your machine is actually
using the ATI supplied driver.

> The installation of ATI driver did not gave me any kind of errors.
> Though VMD is able to run in graphical mode, its too slow.

yes. but did you update the X server configuration file?
did the x-server startup work correctly?
please have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log

for dri you also need some modules and proper permissions
to access that device.

a simple test to check this is to log in as root and
compare the glxinfo output with the one from your user session.

> Any help will be appreciated. I do not have much experience about configuring
> this kind of X-server, video card things.

there may be a few hints in the mailing list archives, but
most likely you should find help in one of the linux user forums.

regards,
   axel.