From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2006 - 13:21:31 CDT

Hi,
  The H-H bonding problem you describe was likely caused by a small bug in
the bond search code of VMD 1.8.4 and 1.8.5 that caused the H-H bond culling
code to be ineffectual. This has been fixed in the test versions of
VMD 1.8.6, and I've got a new test version posted if you'd like to try
it out:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/

Let me know if you need more help with this.