From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2006 - 12:44:14 CDT

Hi,
  I suggest that you try running the official ATI drivers rather than
the open source Mesa-based ATI driver, as those are known to be buggy.
You can download the radeon drivers from the ATI home page. The official
drivers are also buggy, but VMD already contains workarounds for all of the
ATI bugs that I'm aware of.