From: Loison Claire (claire.loison_at_lasim.univ-lyon1.fr)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2006 - 05:15:04 CDT

Hi VMDers,

I just downloaded the binary version of VMD 1.8.5 for UNIX on a
EMT64(xeon) chip using opengl,
under suse linux 10.1. I set the VMDDIR variable and copied some tcl
libraries, until no errors appeared.
but.... no "main" window !

I get the opengl window with the logo VMD
moving around, and the vmd prompt in my terminal.
Perhaps you are interested in the info lines when opening vmd :
Info) VMD for LINUXAMD64, version 1.8.5 (August 25, 2006)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 8 CPUs detected.
Warning) Simple graphics mode: OpenGL 1.0, no extensions
Info) ATI Linux driver detected, limiting features to avoid driver bugs.
Info) OpenGL renderer: ATI FireGL V3400 Pentium 4 (SSE2) (FireGL) (GNU_ICD)
Info) Features:
Info) GLSL rendering mode is NOT available.

 From the mailing list, i understood that i may come from the
ATI driver, and i tried to set the variable
 VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS=1
but the problem remains.

Any idea how i could get vmd main window ?
Thanks in advance !
Claire Loison