From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 00:01:55 CDT

Hi,
  I'm glad that MSMS worked for you. Surf and MSMS use slightly different
algorithms for constructing their solvent accessible/excluded surfaces,
so there are various cases where one will succeed and the other will fail
due to the limitations of their respective algorithms and heuristics,
not to mention the occasional bug. The VolMap tool doesn't create a
solvent surface, but can synthesize arbitrarily fine or coarse resolution
volumetric grids from atomic coordinates, which can then be rendered
using the Isosurface representation, much as one would render electron
density maps, or CryoEM maps for example. It's nice to use when rendering
REALLY large structures with millions of atoms, since at that scale you're
often just looking for a more schematic representation in order to reduce
visible geometric detail anyway.