From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2006 - 12:32:49 CDT

Hi,
  I didn't get the attached picture in the email you sent.
If you're having trouble with Surf, you might try MSMS instead:
  http://www.scripps.edu/~sanner/html/msms_home.html

There are some structures that neither Surf nor MSMS will be able
to process correctly. If you're just looking for a coarse graphical
representation (and not an actual solvent accessible surface) for
this large 58,000 atom structure, you might prefer to use the
Extensions->Analysis->VolMap tool in VMD 1.8.4 to produce a surface
representation at a user-selected resolution, rather than using Surf/MSMS.