From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 17:08:46 CST

Hi Sergey,
  At the moment, there's not a built-in feature in the VMD movie maker
plugin to allow you to make movies by animating different structures, which
is a limitation that follows the general VMD assumption that animated
structures have a constant number of atoms. However, that said, it is
possible to make such an animation in VMD, but you'll need to edit one
of the trajectory movie scripts so it generates one frame for each of the
different structures you have loaded:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/trajectory_movie/

The general idea is the same as the script above, but instead of stepping
through trajectory frames, you'll be stepping through loaded molecules.
Each of your different structures will have to be in a different molecule,
so what you'll do is load all of them up independently, but in the
right order (lots of calls to 'mol new'). Once loaded, you'll need to
change that movie script so that it loops over all molecule IDs that are
loaded, first setting them all hidden with "mol off N" where N is the
molecule ID. Once they are off, then you will loop through them again,
but this time you'll turn each mol on, one at a time, take your snapshot
image, and then turn them back off again before proceeding to the next one.

Let us know if you need more help with this.