From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 00:24:22 CDT

Praedor,
  You can add the environment variable to your personal .cshrc or .profile
shell rc files, or you could modify the VMD startup script to set this
variable prior to starting VMD. The variable just needs to be set before
the VMD binary actually starts since it does affect the way VMD initializes
it's graphics system.