From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 12:05:51 CST

Guys,
  I didn't get a chance to sort all of this out for you before leaving for
vacation, but I'm posting a raw copy of the Python library used to compile
VMD on the web site so you guys can install it on your machine and set
the PYTHONHOME variable to make VMD use it. It should cure your problems,
it worked fine when I tested it on my own machines.
If this doesn't solve your problems, I'll help you when I return on March 28.

I've posted the binary Python libraries and sample install instructions here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/pythonlib/