From: Haberl Florian (Florian.Haberl_at_chemie.uni-erlangen.de)
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 03:44:07 CST

hi,

i ve also the problem that vmd 1.8.3 won^t run on my laptop with gentoo
(unstable branch).
I see the same errors popping up like beyond, same system running with
suse 9.1 works fine.
Other system i got (also suse 9.1) also without probs.
So i fear it^s perhaps a lib problem, too new.

> Hi John,
>
> I've only recently did a clean install of FC3 on this machine so I don't
> have a great deal on it. I don't have a .cshrc file at all because i'm
> using bash as the default shell. If i run 'vmd -dispdev text' i get
>
> Info) VMD for LINUX, version 1.8.3 (February 15, 2005)
> Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
> Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
> Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
> Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
> Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
> Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
> Info) Multithreading available, 2 CPUs detected.
> vmd >
>
> so it looks fine.
>
> I can also run the /usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUX binary directly and get
> the OpenGL window and load in and display trajectories but obviously the
> environmental variables are missing so I get these messages:
>
> Info) VMD for LINUX, version 1.8.3 (February 15, 2005)
> Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
> Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
> Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
> Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
> Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
> Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
> Info) Multithreading available, 2 CPUs detected.
> Info) OpenGL renderer: RADEON X300 Generic
> Info) Features: STENCIL RN MDE CVA MTX PP PS GLSL(OVF)
> ERROR) Unable to locate VMD vertex and fragment shader path, VMDDIR
> environment variable not set
> Info) GLSL rendering mode is NOT available.
> Info) Textures: 2-D (2048x2048), 3-D (2048x2048x2048), Multitexture
> (8)
> ERROR) Tcl startup error: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following
> directories:
> ERROR) /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4 /usr/local/lib/lib/tcl8.4
> /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4 /usr/local/lib/library /usr/local/library
> /usr/local/tcl8.4.1/library /usr/tcl8.4.1/library /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
> ERROR)
> ERROR)
> ERROR)
> ERROR) This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.
> ERROR) Tk startup error: invalid command name "tcl_findLibrary"
> ERROR) VMDDIR undefined, startup failure likely.
> ERROR) Could not read the vmd initialization file -
> ERROR) source {/usr/local/lib/vmd/scripts/vmd/vmdinit.tcl}
> ERROR) can't find package http 2.4
> ERROR) The VMDDIR environment variable is set by the startup
> ERROR) script and should point to the top of the VMD hierarchy.
> ERROR) VMD will continue with limited functionality.
> ERROR) invalid command name "vmd_load_extension_packages"
>

> thanks,
>
> James.
>

> PS I hope you are well!

> [...]

Greetings,

Florian

 Florian Haberl Universitaet Erlangen/Nuernberg
 Computer-Chemie-Centrum Naegelsbachstr. 25, D-91052 Erlangen

 Mailto: florian.haberl AT chemie.uni-erlangen.de