From: Edward Patrick Obrien (edobrien_at_Glue.umd.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 12:47:34 CST

Hi John,
   I've tried to figure out how to define this "restricted selection"
correctly. I've one tentative conclusion, that I need you to confirm or
reject:

The restricted selection ("restrictedsel" according to documentation) MUST
be a subset of the "selection", to get the SASA of the "restrictedsel".

For example, to get the correct SASA of the sidechains (that is given
there is also a backbone that excludes some area), I define and measure
the sasa in the following manner:

vmd > set sidechain [atomselect top sidechain]
atomselect0
vmd > set backbone [atomselect top backbone]
atomselect1
vmd > set protein [atomselect top protein]
atomselect2

vmd > measure sasa 1.4 $protein -restrict $sidechain
1253.48669434
vmd > measure sasa 1.4 $protein -restrict $backbone
210.18057251

Is this correct? Please let me know your thoughts.

It is strange though, the unrestricted protein SASA is

vmd > measure sasa 1.4 $protein
1583.38793945

which still DOES NOT ADD UP from the components,
that is:

1583 is not equal to 1253+210.

Is this 8 percent difference acceptable?

Thanks,
Ed

PS- below are the transcripts of my atempts:

# Define the selections
vmd > set sidechain [atomselect top sidechain]
atomselect0
vmd >
vmd > set backbone [atomselect top backbone]
atomselect1
vmd > set protein [atomselect top protein]
atomselect2

# The unrestricted SASA
vmd > measure sasa 1.4 $protein
1583.38793945
vmd > measure sasa 1.4 $sidechain
1687.36560059
vmd > measure sasa 1.4 $backbone
759.833068848

# Incorrect, returns same SASA as unrestricted or 0
vmd > measure sasa 1.4 $sidechain -restrict $sidechain
1687.36560059
vmd > measure sasa 1.4 $sidechain -restrict $backbone
0.0
vmd > measure sasa 1.4 $sidechain -restrict $protein
1687.36560059
vmd > measure sasa 1.4 $backbone -restrict $sidechain
0.0

# Try a new selection
vmd > set bands [atomselect top "backbone and sidechain"]
atomselect5
vmd > measure sasa 1.4 $sidechain -restrict $bands
0.0
vmd > measure sasa 1.4 $bands -restrict $sidechain
0.0

# May be correct approach