From: Vermaas, Josh (vermaasj_at_msu.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2023 - 17:15:02 CDT

Hi Patrick,

Psfgen needs at least a few coordinates to get started when it starts guessing. What psfgen is doing is following the “rules” encoded in the topology file, using the IC table to build new coordinates from existing coordinates. You’ll need 3 atoms at minimum for psfgen to be able to guess the rest of the positions, and when I’ve done this in the past, I’ve used the N, C, and CA atoms from a random pdb structure to seed a first residue.

-Josh