From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 05 2022 - 12:58:43 CDT

Hi,
  VMD presently does NOTHING with audio whatsoever.
If something is happening with your audio volume when you run VMD,
then I expect that perhaps you've got something external running
as part of your .vmdrc/vmd.rc startup that might be affecting it,
though I personally have no idea what that could be!

In the past 24 years, nobody else has reported something like this.
It doesn't happen on any of my systems, so I don't have any immediate
advice to offer.

Maybe it would be worth watching in a process viewer and seeing whether
any other app(s) gets launched when VMD starts?

Best,
  John

--
Research Affiliate, NIH Center for Macromolecular Modeling and Bioinformatics
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/