From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 18 2021 - 17:05:36 CDT

Hi,
  The Paperchain representation currently uses a hard-coded coloring
scheme that maps ring pucker to color. Paperchain uses Hill-Reilly
Pucker Parameters and converts them to a ring color. At present this
supercedes the user-selected coloring mode. This is a bit of an
inconsistent behavior with respect to the way the rest of the
graphical representations work, so I understand the confusion, but
since it is a very special purpose representation that is
really only intended for carbohydrates, this seemed to be a reasonable
approach when it was developed. I had expected that much more development
was going to take place (this was a collaborative project) however
funding for such work is sometimes difficult to maintain.

I feel it will require a little further collaboration with expertise in
carbohydrates and other multi-branched structures to make further
development progress. My recollection is that there are a few areas
where Paperchain could be improved, in addition to what you've asked about.

Best,