From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 15 2021 - 11:51:36 CDT

Carlos,
  Since you are already aware of the option to use ssrecalc when needed,
I'm not sure what might be going on here.

VMD just uses the results provided to it from STRIDE, so the big question
here is why STRIDE is giving a different result than before.

I do know that STRIDE has some sensitivity to coordinates that are far
away from the origin, so if you've loaded the same structure, but it had
been aligned or something else that brought it closer to the origin
previously, that might play a factor in what you're describing.

If you're not happy with what STRIDE is doing, the new versions of VMD
can also call xDSSP/HSSP etc rather than STRIDE if you happen to have those
installed.

Worst-case, if you have good secondary structure assignments
from another source, you can set the secondary structure assignments
manually, overriding what STRIDE or other tools have calculated,
if necessary.

Best,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/