From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 07 2021 - 16:48:16 CDT

Hi Ali,
  It is worth noting that the text in that section of the VMD docs was
only meant to be exemplary, and there's no way I (or anyone) wants
to read a page that lists all 75+ file formats and their intricate
details. In the context what is meant by "native" file formats,
as Axel already pointed out, anything that has a built-in plugin
is read "natively". The only exceptions (non-native) are files that
are translated on the fly from formats VMD doesn't understand,
by using something like Babel or OpenBabel.

Best,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/