From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2019 - 22:44:13 CDT

Hi Kelly,
  Right now, the VMD GUIs for Orbital display are limited by the availability
of information that is provided by the underlying QM molfile plugins
that read the outpus of the quantum chemistry programs. The scripts that
Joao pointed out extend that in the specific case of the QM/MM codes that
have been made to work with NAMD, but they're not more broadly applicable
at present. It should be possible to create a GUI that addresses the issues
you're describing here, but VMD has to gauranteeably have the energies and
other information available at every timestep, and at least with several
of the QM molfile plugin parsers that presently exist, that is not yet
the case. This is something that I would very much like to improve as
time goes on, but it'll take some work on both the existing molfile parsers
and on the mofile plugin API for QM timestep data, and finally the GUI
itself.

Best,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/