From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 19 2015 - 09:29:31 CDT

Unrelated but possibly important: PYTHON should be on the configure line
somewhere.

You will need to edit the configure file too. For my install, there are
specific lines that I needed to change, and this is what I used for my
system version of python (2.7):

$python_defines = "-DVMDPYTHON";
$python_include = "-I/usr/include/python2.7/"; #This is where
Python.h is for me
$python_library = "-L/usr/lib/python2.7/config/";
$python_libs = "-lpython2.7 -lpthread";

The defaults are for systems here, and may not be relevant to you.