From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2015 - 15:22:50 CST

Hi,
  It sounds like your computer has a buggy OpenGL driver, as it
should not be possible for the VMD graphics window to have a transparent
background. You didn't say what operating system or graphics hardware
you're using, but I strongly recommend that you look for an updated
graphics driver on your machine.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/