From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2015 - 14:13:24 CST

Hi,
  I'm not sure I fully understand what coordinates you're asking for, but
I'll try and give you a useful answer anyway.

VMD uses a sequence of transformation matrices to convert from the model
coordinate system (e.g. molecule coordinates) into the world, or camera
coordinate system, which follows the conventions used by the renderer
currently in use. The internal behavior of VMD is to assume an OpenGL
camera/world coordinate system, and all other renderers basically cope
with this by doing further coordinate transformations.

In any case, you can query the concatenated VMD transformation matrices
for scale, translation, rotation, etc and use these in your own scripts
for your own purposes. Look at the VMD save_state.tcl included with VMD,
and you'll see how VMD saves and restores the view with a saved state.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/