From: Michael Patzschke (patzsc21_at_hzdr.de)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2015 - 21:02:28 CST

John,

Thank you very much for your efforts! I have to apologise, when I first
started this thread I had limited internet access. Now I have searched
a bit more and it seems that man yosemite users experience this problem.

There is actually a solution, although one that implies, that the problem
might not be OpenGL related. The problem appears always and only if
one uses the “Browse” button in the Molecule File Browser. If one gives
the name of a pdb file (download from pdb.org <http://pdb.org/>) or the complete path of
the local file one wants to open everything is fine. it is also no problem to
start vmd directly with a filename.

Also to answer your question on the os version:

System Version: OS X 10.10.2 (14C109)
Kernel Version: Darwin 14.1.0

And the machine:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3