From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2015 - 09:49:29 CST

Hi,
  Regarding peak image resolution: Using the "display resize" command,
it is possible for VMD to render at resolutions that are far beyond the
size of the display or OpenGL window. If VMD is run with the "-dispdev text"
there is no OpenGL window or windowing system involved, and that eliminates
any size limitations associated with the display. It is possible to do
off-screen OpenGL rendering at very high resolutions also, using
OpenGL off-screen Pbuffer rendering "-dispdev openglpbuffer".
In the case of off-screen OpenGL rendering, VMD is currently set to allow
resolutions up to 4096x2400. When using VMD on Linux, the normal OpenGL
window can be made much larger than the screen by moving on corner of the
window out of the bounds of the screen, and then using the "display resize"
command, and then the resolution can be set arbitrarily large, which is again
useful in combination with Tachyon or other ray tracers.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/