From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 27 2015 - 09:55:26 CST

Hi,
  VMD will still use the old compute capability 1.x devices for several
of the CUDA-accelerated analysis algorithms such as computing
electrostatic potential maps, molecular orbitals, and
radial distribution functions.

The oldest G80 and G9x CUDA-capable GPUs are now reaching
end-of-life, and VMD 1.9.2 will likely be the last VMD release that is
compiled with support for those GPUs because NVIDIA has removed support
for them in the latest CUDA 6.x (deprecated) and 7.x (dropped) toolkits,
and I expect that they will no longer be supported by the latest NVIDIA
driver packages in the near future. Beginning with CUDA 7.x, only Fermi
and later GPUs are supported by the compilers.

Cheers,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/