From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 13:53:02 CST

Dieter,
  How did you start VMD after setting the VMDTMPDIR in the
shell window? If you started it via the GUI/icon/etc then it won't
pick up that environment variable setting you made. In order to
cause VMD to catch that, you'll have to start the binary from the
same shell you made that setting in. I think to make it more global,
you'd need to use the "system properties" settings from "My computer"
and then click on the "environment variables" button to add a new
VMDTMPDIR variable for your user account. You could also make it a
system variable I suspect if you wanted it to affect all user logins
on that machine. I'm basing this on Win2k, XP and other versions are
bound to be different. Give that a try and let us know if it cures
your problem or not.

Thanks,