From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 09:59:51 CST

Vlad,
  You'll want to run VMD like this:
vmd -dispdev text

That will disable the GUIs but leave the command language etc.
In your scripts, be sure to use the "waitfor" option when loading
files so that VMD doesn't start analyzing your files until all
trajectory frames are loaded (for example).

This form might also be useful to you:
  vmd -dispdev text -eofexit < myscript.tcl > output.log

There's more information on command line options etc here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node187.html#13608

Thanks,