From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2014 - 13:14:55 CDT

Hi,
  It is pretty easy to call the VMD plugins from your own software,
so rather than hacking the DCD code, I would suggest the use
of the VMD plugin API, and then you can also write various
other trajectory formats as well. Various other tool such as
PyMol, the Gromacs analysis tols, and others make use of
the VMD plugin API, so there are also many examples of how to do this
in various ways out in the field.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/